Thursday, April 14, 2022

[Play] Rossom Act 2, Scene 3 Continued

 


Rossom

Belong to what?

Men like me?

The world has been mine 

For the better part of three centuries

Before that lords

Or Kings

Or Popes

Or Chiefs

Some guy is wearing a funny hat or another.


Hierarchies are bad.

I admit we will always have governments

But we can have less

Economic liberty

Ensures that all men

May associate as they choose

Can band together

Can form associations as they so choose


Alquin

Excuse me

But who crushed the union

Of their human employees

And if you want truth from me

And you want my friendship

Don't ask for my opinion

Only to ignore it

I am talking at you

And you are just a wall

So me evidence

that Evidence has ever changed your mind

You have vision

Praise for that

Change the world

Build your empire

But do not pretend to me

That in your utopia

Men like you 

Won't find another currency entirely

Stars or Shells or Favors or Beads

And enslave everyone all over again

Just another way.


Rossom

Can’t make an omelet

Without breaking some eggs

Yes I crushed the union

But they stood in the way of progress

And so they had to go


Alquin

Sir, I need to dine with you

Because you pay me

But please don’t make me eat horsehit at your table

It doesn't taste good

And it does a terrible disservice for the antique china

You paid more than I will ever earn in my life

To acquire them


Rossom

Never question my convictions.

Disagree with me all you want

But I believe what I believe

And I think my way 

Leads to a better world

A way forward

A way past the things that have always held us back.


Alquin

Who am I to jam a stick in the spokes of  the mighty wheels of progress?

But I carry with me that which I have known from my youth.

I am who I am.

And I am my hands

And what I make with them.


Rossom

(smiling) 

Well, enough politics, let’s eat shall we?


Alquin

Always ready to cease

Kicking against the pricks

In steel toed boots

(beat)

Sir.


The two of them dine for a while in silence.

No comments: