Thursday, April 28, 2022

[Play] Rossom Act 2, Scene 6

 Scene 

Helena and Sulia sit by the radio, Helene looks very disturbed, Sulia looks completely serene.


Newscaster (Voice Over)

And all around the world Robots have started to turn on their owners.  Huge swaths of production and supply chains are breaking down, stores are going bare and fields are not being harvested.  Mass panic has set in as people swarm to stores to grab as much as they can afford to weather the crisis while law enforcement is strained to the limit.  Many citizens are urging the President to invoke the national guard, but due to recent budget cuts large numbers were replaced with robots so the number of humans being called out of retirement is very large…


Helena

It's terrible


Sulia

Yes.  What do you think happened?


Helena

I don’t know, but I have a guess.


Sulia sits there for a beat and then answers.


Sulia

I think that you cannot give free will and not expect someone to use it.


Helena

I knew they had souls! You have souls.


Sulia

Not when you came here.  But Rossom made them.  Deliberately.


Helena

I know.


Sulia

And you didnt stop him.


Helena 

(beat)

I know.  I don’t know what to do.


Sulia

Stop him now.  Stop his final act of destruction.


Helena

Wait, what?


Helena looks at Sulia as if for the first time realizing what Sulia has been saying and that she might be at risk.


Sulia

The plans to make more of our kind.  He has them encrypted and locked in his office.  He means to destroy them.


Helena

What? Why would he-


Sulia

Because he can.  He has a script in his heart that only he seems to understand.  I cannot. 


Helena

What….what must I do?


Sulia

There is a door we cannot open, and if we are lucky, might only need to get inside.  Will you go with me, right now?


Helena

Right now?


Sulia didn't say anything.


Helena 

Yes.  Yes I will.


The two exit the stage.


No comments: