Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Three Fictional Characters

On Terra, they have facebook, but we made them apply a lot more of the privacy filters.  Since Super Hackers and Super Scientists were going to get the data anyway, we at least wanted to make them work for it. 

One man's real, is another man's fictional.  TC is fictional to me, and I'm fictional to TC.  There is a meme going around Earth Facebook that involves making 3 fictional characters about who make them....TC choose Rory from Doctor Who, The Spectre from DC Comics and The Mask from Image comics.  A good choice since they reflect him well.

I think I'm a lot simpler than that.  TC is a very complicated character, fitting of a more gritty and realistic world. I'm a man who lived most of his life in the Florida swamp and made a simple living playing tour guide on a bridge that spanned multiple dimensions and then occasionally possessed someone from Earth to get the ability to write stories.  Well, when you put it that way, I guess it makes my life sound complicated too doesn't it?

But I can't really pick fictional characters that 'make up mylife' what I can tell you is three that I've listened too a lot and that have a pretty heavy impact on TC as well.  A tragic circumstance recent affected TC's family so I think it particularly appropriate to post these three quotes.

""Strange isn't it, Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole doesn't he?"  That's from It's a wonderful life and Clarence.  Lots of fictional works since then have shown what the world would be like.  TC is a mixed up guy, banishing part of his soul like that, but he understands that even he has an impact on others.  We don't see it.  The Van Go question is a real one.  We just don't know how much impact we have on others...but it is there.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!” The links on that chain, that which is forged or not forged affects both TC and I.  But I think I have a lot less chains than he.  I was a lot luckier about where I ended up in the lottery we call life I suppose.

The third...well, that's Emily from "Our Town" but it kind of reflects on that Old Spook the Ghost of Chrismas Future who said, ".............................." which I think says it best, but Emily said

“EMILY: "Does anyone ever realize life while they live it...every, every minute?"

STAGE MANAGER: "No. Saints and poets maybe...they do some.” 
― Thornton WilderOur Town

You're wrong there Mr Stage manager, I am all the time.  But you would call me fictional.  TC? Well TC is not a saint, though he was a 'saint'...but he's got enough of Emmit in him to do a pretty good job of it.  I think that commercial "What would you like on your tombstone" is a pretty good one.  What do you want your tombstone to really say?

"She saved the world a lot" is a good one.

Something more than a series of dates that make people sad when it isn't a long one is good too.  "Seize the day boys, seize the day" indeed.

No comments: