Tuesday, January 1, 2008

On Genre

One of the things that I need to decide when putting the book together is what Genre I'm going to make it. I've decided I'm going to write up to seven novels before I 'give up' and then self publish, and so far I've nearly finished my second. The first was sci fi and the second was near future Sci Fi. While there are a wide range of genres out there, I have to admit I've always wanted to write a fantasy, which is another reason for my wanting to use the "Tolkien" school of writing and preparation.

But "Fantasy" covers an incredibly wide range of sub genres. What kind of story am I looking to tell?

If you look at the Wikipedia article on the subject you find out that there are more genres about Fantasy than you would ever have imagined.

Personally, since I also recently watched an interesting Nova about the way sleep helps us determine the best way, to do things, I'm going to sleep on it.

No comments: