Monday, September 29, 2008

50000 WORDS!

I have reached the half way mark. This usually takes years. Having a fixed deadline and someone reading my manuscript to edit it as I work makes all the difference. Might see if I can repeat this next year when I do Flotsam. Though I know an outline will make a difference there and the extra year to prepare things starting in November will help make a difference. Though in retrospect I think October-November to write it instead of November-December is useful so I can do Christmas stuff.

It seems to be coming along. A few new characters introduced. Some have been eaten (as is to be expected in a Zombie novel.) The thing that I am not entirely sure about at this point is final length. 100,000 words was my original target, but this story may merit something shorter. The problem is that most places really want 100,000 words as the minimum length. The natural flow seems to indicate 80,000 to 90,000. I think I'll compromise on 90,000 so I can add another 10,000 without as much difficulty and story disruption if the current people I'm trying to get to publish it reject it.

Taking today 'off' to brainstorm ideas for the second half.

No comments: