Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The plot?

So...a creative exercize...how do I get a human into the elf lands? The truth is, that unless they're a merchant or a sailor who gets 'lost at sea' nothing immediately comes to mind.

And I've already done the lost merchant thing for Earth. The last thing I want is a bunch of stories about merchants. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but its hardly epic heroism.

Now I do like the idea of a meeting between different cultures, but I'm not ready to do the Bleyoki....so that leaves either the Simsaur's people, the God's people (and my instinct is telling me this isn't right for them), the Abysmali people or a wilder. A wilder would be convenient because it would help define them, which means it has to be the Simsaur.

Now the problem is that the Simsaur make lots of people. They're the masters at breeding and life manipulation, but a bajillion races is...excessive in my belief. So what exactly would they see as wanting in a human? The Simsaur are the oldest of the races, so in some ways they've got a grudge, but they've got a grudge against everyone since they've been eclipsed by everyone at one time or another. So I'm thinking dwarves, gnomes, goblins and a million little short races to be diminuitive. The mechanical aptitude of humans (the ability to figure things out) is something that makes them useful to the Abysmali, but the Simsaur don't need that. On the other hand, there has long been a relationship between Simsaur and human teachers which tells me that these diminuiative races would be the true masters of magic.

Which is a bit against the trope of Fantasy since elves are supposed to be masters of things. But then again...the Sopensen would actually teach their people things, whereas the Dwarves would only be given a few bits and pieces. And their magics are totally different.

It seems a fit, but we'll see.

No comments: