Monday, January 11, 2016

Vampires in Terra

I have read several books on the Occult, of course, so the subject of Vampirism has come up.  There are a lot of different kinds, but it isn't of the Twilight variety or the Interview with a Vampire either.  Its essentially a curse, inflicted due to prayer or some supernatural entity.  Dracula was made a vampire due to the opposing prayers of all the Turks he killed.  That is the primary reason Terra is not inflicted with hoards of vampires....for someone to become one, they have to metaphorically deserve it.  It isn't some supernatural disease one can catch just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Though I suppose if one counts 'death' as a supernatural disease, then you can easily catch it.

Fiction from Earth often finds Vampires of a torn morality, who grow to resent their curse and work to redeem themselves.  I've seen such creatures in other worlds, but not in Terra.  To be clear, there is not, so far as I know, some supernatural or demonic force that prevents them from doing good; they're just assholes.  While our politicians are not perfect, they are practically saints compared to the Earth variety.

On Terra, we are stories wheras on Earth you tell them.  That means our highs are very high and our lows are very low.  Those who choose to be assholes or villains tend to be very much of that cloth and those who are complicated are still much clearer in tone when doing dire deeds.  But....

Some of the people you have there...I must say on the AGGREGATE make our vampires look tame by comparison.  A vampire in Terra might tear through an entire orphanage in a rural town to sate their blood lust before going to sleep for another century.  Some of your population will sooner let millions suffer simply because it isn't their problem.  Maybe our heroes are just better at moving people toward compassion but I do admit, I'm glad I live here.

The stories there are amazing.  I live to see them which is why I find myself spending more and more time every day floating amongst your population, listening for anything I can, real or otherwise.  But I have to wonder if the reason we write so few is because the quality of our lives is better and the reason you write so much is because...nearly anywhere else is better than where you are.  But I'm biased I suppose.


No comments: