Saturday, April 30, 2016

[Poem] Whither the Wind Blows Not

Whither the Wind Blows Not
by Emmit Other
I am of a mind to sail against the current
The stars above me fixed 
In my gnat's view of time
Though swirling in chaos
Relative to themselves.
When a thing is right
You sail to that star
To be who you choose to be
Not because it is convenient
Not because it makes you popular
But because to do otherwise
Makes you less of what you choose to be in life
You are alone on this journey
Locked in your starmeat skull
Shared hearts, shared minds
At till the now, not shared thoughts
Save those pale words we jabber
With flapping jaws and unreliable imperfect ears
I remember standing on the mountain
Waving the flag of summons like the fool I was
Only to be justifiably ignored by thousands
I am not what I was
Naive in different ways
The past left by a much needed slap
By our lady of endearing pragmatism
Lead ingot dropped in silken glove
But in an upside down entropic world
We must fix on something
To find any degree of Truth worth finding
And I believe in it
And work for it
And thus sail counter to the waves
I know the folly
But I do so of choice
Of who I choose to be
Not of fear
But of love
And there can be no better reason for anything than this
This is why we live
If we choose to embrace it as such.