Tuesday, November 9, 2021

[Play] A Hand Grenade Loose in King Arthur’s Court A Play By Rhombus Ticks Act 1 Scene 3

 Scene 3

Merlin and Morgan walk on stage together, horizontally.  The location is a different one than the one Order and Chaos met at.


Morgana: A Hand Grenade Loose in King Arthur’s Court.


Merlin: A Costumed Loon Blows Up King Arthur


Morgana: An Insane Super Hero Blows Up The Past


Merlin: The Butterfly Defect.


Morgana: Oh that’s a good one.  How many times have we done this now?


Merlin: I’ve lost count.  More than five hundred, less than five thousand.  


Morgana: I wish we could forget like everyone else.


Merlin: Magic has a price.


Morgana: Its so cliché; Chaos opens the portals, and Order ensures that the basic story structure remains the same, the rise, the fall and the end of chaos.  They play games across the cosmos but this is their Poker.  I don’t get it.


Merlin: It’s comfort food.  They’re so far above us that we can’t understand even the slightest shard of them, but in some ways, they are both creatures of habit.


Morgana: That’s….disgusting.


Merlin: Isn’t it just?  Well, let’s get this over with.


Both take out two stones, one Yellow and the Other Green.  Each takes a stone.


Morgana: Order.


Merlin: Chaos.  Damn, I hate it when I am his champion with the truly random ones.  


*****

Morgana: I don’t understand why they don’t stick with you for Order and Chaos with me all the time.


Merlin: Chaos literally can’t do that.  Otherwise he wouldn’t be Chaos.


Morgana: Well why doesn’t Order just insist on it?


Merlin: Because if they didn't do games, it would be pure war...their minions and agents fight enough, if they did, whole universes would shatter...and Oberon and his wives wouldn't tolerate that, and God forbid higher powers than that got upset.


Morgana: Higher powers?


Merlin: Turtles all the way down, turtles all the way up.  Even if you can’t see it or they don’t see you.  


Morgana: I...guess.  Do you want to do a side bet this time around?


Merlin: Certainly, shall we say loser teaches a spell to the winner?


Morgana: I like it.  We haven’t done that one in a while.  What stakes?


Merlin: I set the stakes last time...your turn?


Morgana: Hmm.  I think this one has hidden potential.  I think he will do more good than ill.


Merlin: Are you kidding me? I’ll definitely take that bet.


Morgana: Done.  Let the games begin.


Merlin: I almost feel guilty.  Almost.

(both exit the stage)


No comments: