Thursday, November 18, 2021

[Play] A Handgrenade Loose in King Arthur's Court Act 1 Scene 6

 Scene 6


Morganna and Guenevere sit in a room.


Guenevere consults several charts, astrological symbols and a deck of Tarot cards.


Guenevere

Tell me, seeress, can I change destiny?


Morganna

So far, it seems rather fixed.  Technically, my job is to keep it that way.


Guenevere

I don’t understand.


Morganna

No, you rarely do.  The summer country is an appropriate name for your demesne, my child.


Guenevere

Was that an insult?


Morganna

I would never deign to insult the powerful queen of Camelot.


Guenevere

Well, good.  See that you don’t.


Morganna

Insults never need to be proferred when one is the insult personified.


Guenevere

What does that mean?


Morganna

It means my queen that I think destiny is a complicated matter, and it really depends on what it is you’re asking about.  Some things can be changed, but at great cost.  Some things cannot be changed.  And some things should not be changed.


Guenevere

Oh.  (Beat) Well how do you know the difference?


Morganna

I think that might be a better question for your priest.


Guenevere

I’m asking you.


Morganna

Well (she considers) I do know a demon that might….


Guenevere

Priest.  Got it, definitely will ask Father Tindelos.


Morganna

Maybe if you tell ME what the problem is…


Guenevere

No, I don’t want to talk about it.  


Morganna

Is it about Men?


Guenevere

Definitely not.  And even if it was, I wouldn’t have that conversation with you.


Morganna

So it is about men.  A man.


Guenevere

No!


Morganna

You’re sure?


Guenevere

Yes!


Morgana

So it’s not men.  Is it perhaps actually a deep seated resentment to your mother about being forced into a marriage for a political alliance in an unfair patriarchal system that you are desperately seeking to escape and inclined to rebel in a completely illogical way that threatens your life and the entire kingdom?


Guenevere

(beat) What?


Morgana

Yeah, what do I know?  Let me know if you change your mind about the demon.


(Lights Dim)

(Lights Rise)

Morgana is gone.


Guenevere

I hate it when she does that….


No comments: