Thursday, March 31, 2022

[Play] Rossom Act 1, Scene 6

 Domin:

Tell me, Helena, human female, do you have a secured future or a mate?


Helena:

I do not.  I had staked my future on this entire enterprise which now I have found to be part of a master plan by Rossom that even he did not understand.


Domin:

So you are shocked at the scope of your disappointment and extremely emotionally vulnerable are you not?


Helena:

You are correct.  I am indeed extremely vulnerable to emotional manipulation and find you physically attractive despite your less than attractive qualities.


Domin:

I, being male, statistically earn significantly more than you do thanks to the irrationally patriarchal nature of our society as we rush to destroy the planet.


Helena:

I am appalled by this situation but am strangely drawn to your complete and extremely rational honesty.  It is almost machine like.


Domin:

Well I am an engineer, and as one of the humans most involved in the creation of robots, that does also make me superior to other humans.


Alquin:

Hello.  I am Alquin.


Helena:

Hello Alquin.  Are you too another of the humans better than most humans because of your involvement in the creation of Robots?


Alquin:

I am.


Domin:

Your timing is poor Alquin.


Alquin:

Is it? (Alquin looks at the audience and winks)


Helena:

I was just engaged in the discussion of my mating preferences with Domin who was, by his own extremely rational admission explaining the truth of how he earns more than me and how I suddenly find myself in material need.


Alquin:

Oh? Well, I have a spare room that you can have until you figure out what you want to do.


Domin:

Shut up Alquin!


Alquin:

What?


Alquin and Domin stare at each other.


Helena:

Whew! Thank you.  And here I was considering becoming Domin’s mate due to my immediate need to have material sustenance.  Thank you Alquin.


Alquin:

I try.  (Winks at audience again)


Domin:

Curses!  Robots, come with me so I can have you do humiliating things due to my own emotional and physical inadequacy.


(Domin and the robots leave)


No comments: