Tuesday, February 1, 2022

[Play] A Hand Grenade Loose in King Arthur's Court - Act 2, Scene 10

 Scene 10

Merlin sits talking with Merlin in one side of the stage (ideally the left) and Morgana sits talking with Morgana (ideally the Right)


[Suggestion: This may be accomplished either with an actor in an identical costume, multi media or possibly a puppet]


Chaos (Off Stage)

Let the betraying champion engage in an endless lecture with himself and create a dissertation on exactly Why a Raven is in fact like a Writing Desk in 5 million words or less with APA Formatting and accompanying bibliography.  They may leave when done.  They will live here as long as it takes, even if the stars burn out.


Merlin

No, no, no that doesnt make any sense.  The taxonomy of a writing desk is vegetable, the taxonomy of a raven is animal.  This is fundamental


Merlin

Well we can both agree they are composed of matter.


Merlin

Yes, but thats all we agree on.  We’ve been here for days and only have one sentence.


Merlin

Well thats not MY fault, you’re the one who won’t be flexible.


Merlin

I am LITERALLY you.


Merlin

Now you’re being pedantic. 


(Both scream in torture)


Order (Off Stage)

Let the betraying champion engage in the traditional torture of the other.  From sun up to sun down, she shall torture her other.  Then the other shall switch places and go from sun down to sun up.  This shall proceed until one relents and dies.  They shall live until this is accomplished even should the stars burn out.


Morgana

Stop, please stop.


Morgana 

You know I literally can’t not torture you.


Morgana

Just a break.  Just five minutes, please, it never stops.


Morgana

All you have to do is let me be the one who lives.


Morgana

No!


(Both scream in rage)


The Lights Go Out

Grenademan Enters

The Lights Go On


Grenademan

OH THAT ACTUALLY IS COOL.  I CAN SEE WHY YOU DO IT.


Morgana

What? How did you get here?


Grenademan

I REVERSED THE POLARITY ON THE OBELISK USING AN OSCILATING QUANTUM MAGNETIC FROMBOTIZER BOUNCING OFF A DEFLECTOR DISH I MADE OF WHEAT AND TINFOIL TRIANGULATED FROM THE MOONS REFLECTION.


Morgana

(beam) I am absolutely sorry I asked.  WHY are you here?


Grenademan

I AM HERE TO RESCUE YOU.


Morgana

Seriously? ME? You?!


Merlin

Hear him out, he has the Golden Helm of Mambrino.  Its probably how he actually got here.  He BELIEVED he could.  If he believes he can free us, then he likely can.


Morgana

We’re already in enough trouble with Order and Chaos.


Merlin

You dont know them well do you? If we can get out of this, they wont care?


Morgana

Hello? Aren’t you supposed to be torturing me?


Morgana

Right.  Sorry.


Grenademan

STOP. DONT DO THAT TO YOURSELF.


Morgana

I literally dont have any other choice.


Grenademan

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?


Morgana

I have to, or I cease to be.


Morgana

And then its my turn.


Grenademan

BUT YOU ARE BOTH YOU?


Morgana

Yes, brilliant this one is.


Grenademan

WELL WHY DOESNT ONE OF YOU JUST CHOOSE TO LET THE OTHER LIVE?


Morgana

Its not that simple.


Morgana

We’re both me.


Grenademan

DO YOU REALLY HATE YOURSELF THAT MUCH?


Morgana

What?  No.


Morgana

Not at all.


Morgana

(beat) Do we hate ourselves that much?


Morgana

Shit.  We do.


Morgana

But we dont have any REASON to.  We’re not that good a person.


Morgana

Why didnt we think of this before?


Morgana

I guess we were too wrapped up in ourselves


Morgana

Fuck them.  Fuck them all.


Morgana

You go.  I’ll end.


Morgana

No, you go.


Merlin

Either of you.  Just pick one.


Morgana

I’ll do it.


Morgana

OK.  I wont forget you Morgana


Morgana

You’d better not.


(Morgana vanishes)


Morgana 

Thank you Grenademan.  Let’s go.


Merlin

Take me with you.


Merlin

Oh no, and leave me to finish five million words? If I’m staying you’re staying with me.


Merlin

Grenademan, can you invent a typewriter that will produce five million words?


Grenademan

OF COURSE.  WE JUST NEED SEVERAL MONKEYS, A COCONUT AND-


Morgana

You helped me.  Let me help you.  He’s not worth it.


Grenademan

WHAT YOU MEAN?


Morgana

Seriously? He’s TOTALLY evil.


Merlin

I’m not that evil.


Merlin

No, she’s right we’re pretty evil.


Grenademan

BUT IT REALLY WOULDNT TAKE THAT LONG ONCE WE FOUND THE MONKEYS.


Morgana

Oh for….Grenademan take my hand.


Grenademan

OK.  (holds her hand) WHY?


Morgana

See ya Merlin.


Merlin

Oh fuck.


(Lights go out)

Grenademan and Morgana leave.

(Lights come back on)


Merlins

Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck.


No comments: