Thursday, December 30, 2021

[Play] A Hand Grenade Loose in King Arthur's Court - Act 2 Scene 1

Merlin is worrying in his study.  Chaos enters.


Merlin

What are we going to do?


Chaos

Greetings Champion.


Merlin (stands)

Oh.  Chaos!  How wonderous that you have graced us with your presence.


Chaos

Is it the royal we now?


Merlin

No, I meant, um, collectively, Camelot benefits from your presence each time you visit it.


Chaos

Does it?


Merlin

Oh definitely.


Chaos

How exactly?


Merlin

Uh, well, more freedom of course, and more fun unexpected encounters.


Chaos

It is true, I am awesome and I am the source of spontaneity and luck and the unexpected.  And freedom, for whatever that really means.  And what have you done to help that along lately, Merlin?


Merlin

Um, come again?


Chaos

You’re my champion, right?


Merlin

Yes.  Yes, of course.


Chaos

So report.  How is my cause?


Merlin

I’ve…(beat) I’ve been monitoring a grave situation regarding Grenademan.


Chaos

Oh?


Merlin

Yes, he has an artifact, the Helm of Mambrino, from a previous champion of yours in a different game.


Chaos

That sounds like more chaos, not less.


Merlin

Yes, but it might be considered cheating.


Chaos

I see.  And that’s it?


Merlin

Well…


Chaos

That’s the best you can do?


Merlin

I (beat) can certainly do more, that has been my plan all along.


Chaos

Excellent.  Do tell me about your plan.


Merlin

I had been keeping it secret since Order’s spies are everywhere.  But I assure you, much chaos will be spread.


Chaos

Fantastic.  And what chaos will that be?


Merlin

Funny you should ask, I have a whole raft of chaotic things to do.


Chaos

Wonderful.  Such as?


Merlin

(Beat) I will turn half the knights of Camelot into Barnyard animals.


Chaos

Bingo.


No comments: